Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The pitter-patter of little beats

Well, by this point we've both seen and heard baby's heartbeat, but today marked a heartbeat milestone of a different sort. Before going on, I should explain that my 5th graders just began studying the circulatory system, and one of the lessons includes having a nurse bring a stethoscope to the classroom so they can actually experience hearing their heartbeat.

I'd been reading in my books that about this time, you can SOMETIMES hear baby's heartbeat using a regular stethoscope. Many times, because of positioning of both baby and/or placenta, this is not possible. Our nurse isn't coming in until Friday, but I decided to go ask her if she'd ever been able to do this. I thought it would be fun not only for me, but if we could find the baby's heartbeat for the kids to hear and compare to their own, it might be a good learning experience.

Well, baby apparently decided to cooperate today and the school nurse was able to locate baby's heartbeat without much trouble. We double checked it with my pulse a couple times to make sure it wasn't MY heartbeat she was hearing, but the heartbeat detected was about twice as fast as the pulse she was getting from my arm (which is normal for a fetus). This whole experience has just been so surreal! :)

No comments: