Monday, August 1, 2011

Skates, Snakes, and Sharks

This weekend, we took full advantage of the final weekend before I have to start working again and the extra day Damian took off. We had a very full and fun weekend!
On Saturday, we went to a birthday party at a skating rink. Noah took his first twirl around the rink, with Mommy (back aching the whole time), holding him up. His cute little skates went over his shoes and he eventually became quite good at the whole "walk-skate" thing that beginners start out doing. The boys had a lot of fun skating, playing ski ball, and eating cake. What the boys didn't know, was that we had more fun in store for them.



Friday night, in a rare moment of spontanaity, we had decided to take advantage of one of the last weekends of summer vacation and Damian taking an extra day off. We called our friends, Steve and Cassie, and made plans to come up and visit them and take the kids to the zoo. On Saturday morning, while Damian took the kids to Wal-Mart, I packed up the car and got it ready to leave town. I had to be careful and put everything in the back so the kids wouldn't suspect anything. At one point, Braydon asked why there was a suitcase back there. Before we left I made a point of telling Damian and the kids that I'd been loading up my car with stuff I needed to take to school, so when he asked, I told him I was using the suitcase to hold things because I couldn't find a box. He seemed completely satisfied with that answer and didn't mention it again. They kids were completely surprised when we told them, as we filled up with gas, that we were leaving for Omaha right then! It took us 4.5 hours with all of the detouring (and even longer coming back), but we had a great weekend visiting with friends and seeing many animals. On Sunday night, our friends Kristin and Marty, who live also live in Omaha, came over for dinner. The kids had a blast playing and the adults got to catch up. What a great impromptu weekend! Thanks so much to Steve and Cassie, and their last minute hospitality! :-)The boys playing on an old safari truck.Having fun in the aquarium. This, along with the "big kitties" was Noah's favorite.Noah didn't want to miss anything important, so he chose to nap during lunch.The four of us posing by the "big kitty" statues. As much as Noah loved to look at the real "big kitties" (behind the glass, mind you), he had no desire to be near those statues. He wouldn't let me put him down on one to take a picture.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! I can't wait until Myles gets excited about the zoo and all the animals!